VA Benefits

The Veterans Affairs offers many services for veterans such as education, VA Home Loans, and health benefits. Visit their main page to find out other services and your eligibility.

The Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs offers consultation and services for Veterans health benefits, education benefits, employment assistance, and scholarship programs.

eBenefits is a portal and central location for Veterans, Service Members, and their families to research, find, access, and manage their benefits and personal information.

Requesting VA benefits:

All students using VA benefits must complete UMBC’s Semester Certification Form every semester online through the registrar.

A ticket will then be created for you. Questions or documents must be attached on your ticket. No paper applications will be accepted.

Applying for first time VA benefits through the VA:

Make sure that you have applied for VA benefits through the Department of Veteran Affairs. Once you are approved, they will send you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) which you can forward a copy to the Registrar’s Office by attaching it to your ticket once you’ve submitted your request. It is not necessary to submit your COE every semester unless your eligibility changes.

To avoid any delays, you can also verify that your UMBC program is in the VA’s catalog, WEAMS.

If you do NOT see your program listed on WEAMS, please submit an RT ticket to submit your program to be included ASAP. 

The VA typically takes 30 days for approval and update of programs into WEAMS. It is advisable for students to check on this before the start date of classes to avoid delays.


Certifications for full tuition and fees are submitted every semester after the add/drop period.

UMBC’s SCS first certifies for Book and Housing Allowance (BAH) as soon as requests are received on a first come first serve basis (so be sure to submit your request online early as soon as registration opens and you are enrolled in classes).

You will be notified on your ticket once your certification is submitted.

If adding or dropping a class you will need to complete the Semester Certification form online again and instead of “initial” certification you would check off “adjust” my certification and indicate the change.

For add/drop dates, please visit the Registrar’s site.

Past due messages/hold notices:

If your account indicates a “past due” message or if you are receiving late fee hold notices contact UMBC’s Student Business Services (SBS) 410-455-2288.

Late payment fee hold:

Once the School Certifying Official receives your request, a Late Payment Fee hold is requested to be placed by SBS for CH. 33 students only, to prevent any late fees from applying on your account pending VA payments. While awaiting VA payments, you are allowed to continue taking classes.

You will be notified if any further information or additional paperwork is needed.

Questions about VA benefits:

Questions or documents must be attached on your ticket when you submit your Semester Certification request every semester. If you still have pertinent questions, you can submit an RT ticket.

We ask students to please manage all questions during the initial processing times so that your certification can be submitted within a timely manner. You may also schedule appointments to meet with the SCS in advance.